[Plura-list] A new Marcus Yallow/Little Brother story!; DRM and CHI; Talking with Toronto Public Library's Shelve Under podcast; The law is free

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Tue Apr 28 13:47:18 EDT 2020

Today's links

* A new Marcus Yallow/Little Brother story!: "Force Multiplier" is free
if you pre-order Attack Surface, the third Little Brother book

* DRM and CHI: When the metaphor shear is deliberate.

* Talking with Toronto Public Library's Shelve Under podcast: Toronto is
a hell of an sf town.

* The law is free: Carl Malamud wins big at the Supreme Court.

* "Absolutely faithful" Discworld TV adaptations: Will we finally get a
decent Discworld video adaptation?

* Read the prologue of "The Lost Cause": My post-GND novel-in-progress

* Foreclosure vultures hold illegal auctions on courthouse steps: You
say "investor," I say "profiteer."

* Hands-free door-handles: Ability is a spectrum.

* NYC will pedestrianize 40 miles of city streets: Hey I'm walkin' here.

* Citizen DJ: The Library of Congress wants to bring back the golden age
of sampling.

* "Essential" workers will strike across America for May Day: Amazon,
Instacart, Whole Foods, Walmart, Target, and FedEx.

* Synonyms vs machine learning: An adversarial example to defeat
sentiment analyzers.

* This day in history: 2005, 2010, 2015

* Colophon: Recent publications, upcoming appearances, current writing
projects, current reading

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 A new Marcus Yallow/Little Brother story!

On Oct 12, Tor Books will publish ATTACK SURFACE, the third Little
Brother book - unlike the previous two, it's not YA, and unlike the
previous two, it stars Masha, the young woman who works for the DHS and
then a private security firm.

It's a book about rationalization and redemption: how good people talk
themselves into doing bad things, and what it takes to bring them back
from the brink. I'm incredibly proud of it.

It's available for pre-order now, and if you send your receipt for your
pre-purchase (from any retailer!) to Tor, they'll send you FORCE
MULTIPLIER, a new Marcus Yallow story.

https://read.macmillan.com/promo/attacksurfacepreordercampaign/

It's a story about stalkerware, technological self-determination,
allyship, and the consequences of getting tech very, very wrong. I wrote
it especially for fans of the series, and am forever in Eva Galperin's
debt for her help with the ending.

If you like infosec, puzzles and justice, this is one for you. Please
help me spread the word!

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 DRM and CHI

For this year's CHI2020, Casey Fiesler presented a paper on the way that
DRM interferes with Computer-Human Interfaces, drawing on the public
record from recent US Copyright Office DMCA 1201 comment periods.

https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3313831.3376745

Fiesler summarizes her work in this article:

https://medium.com/cuinfoscience/dmca-anti-circumvention-and-the-policy-problem-in-hci-3158dd8a27d0

The foundational point (I think) is the clash of metaphors. People who
buy devices or subscriptions to services believe that they have acquired
property and thus should be free to use it as they see fit.

As one Copyright Office comment goes: "The seller only has the right to
sell to me if I choose to buy from them. They DO NOT have the right to
tell me how to use it. It would be like me buying a house from a
contractor and them telling me I could NOT make ANY changes to it."

There's a very good reason that people who buy phones - or ebooks or
juicers or pet-food dispensers or tractors or smart lightbulbs - think
they're *buying* these things, not taking out a limited use license.

That reason is that the sellers tell them so. "Are you ready to buy this
tractor, good sir? or "Buy the ebook now!"

None of these companies pitch their wares as, "Acquire a limited license
subject to terms and conditions today!"

But the fine print, the technical countermeasures, and the
representations these companies make to Congress and regulators tell a
different story.

Companies know that no one wants a limited license to the things they
view as property, so they only tell you you're not the owner of your
stuff when you want to use third-party ink, or independent repair, or an
alternative app store.

Then it's all "Well, actually, I think you'll find that you don't own
this at all. Ha ha! Got you there, don't I?"

CHI is all about metaphors, from windows to trashcans, and metaphor
shear is an occupational hazard at the best of times.

But with DRM, the metaphor shear is deliberate. Companies know you
didn't wake up this morning and say, "Dammit, I wish it was illegal to
take my car to an independent mechanic. Wonder what GM's got to sell me
on those lines?"

So GM deploys a deliberately deceptive metaphor to sell you (or, rather,
"to offer you a limited license to) a car. The metaphor fails not
because it is incomplete or imprecise, but because it is a fraud.

Fiesler's work is an excellent exploration of the special problems that
this culture of fraud creates for designers, users, and, especially,
people with disabilities.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 Talking with Toronto Public Library's Shelve Under podcast

I chatted with the Toronto Public Library's Shelve Under podcast before
the pandemic about writing science fiction as a political act -- it was
in honor of my (explicitly political) book Radicalized, which is a
finalist for the CBC's #CanadaReads prize.

https://shelveunder.simplecast.com/episodes/shelve-under-pulp-fiction

The interview is weirdly applicable to the moment we're in (as are the
stories in Radicalized, dealing as they do with preppers trying to sit
out the end of the world; everyday people trying to wrest control over
their technology from distant, failing corporations, the limits of
individual action in addressing structural racism; and the fundamental
evil of privatized health care)

It's one of those moments when I'm at pains to point out that cyberpunk
is a warning, not a suggestion.

But beyond that, we dug into the way that Toronto during my boyhood in
the 1980s and 1990s offered the closest thing to a formal apprenticeship
in science fiction writing the world has ever seen, thanks largely to
the actions of Judith Merril.

Here's the MP3:

https://cdn.simplecast.com/audio/9a8815/9a881508-28c4-4ae3-8978-c861386133d1/421f3f4e-63a8-44a4-8446-282dbff2dcad/shelve-under-e04-pulp-fiction-1_tc.mp3

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 The law is free

Well this is a hell of a day: it's the day that the Supreme Court
affirmed that Carl Malamud was legally in the right when he removed the
paywall from the state of Georgia's lawbooks and published its laws
online for anyone to read.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/04/supreme-court-affirms-no-one-owns-law

Malamud is the rogue archivist who'd made a career out of acts of civil
disobedience, lately scanning, transcribing, formatting and uploading
laws (including safety standards incorporated into the law by reference)
for anyone to read, for free.

He's done this based on the ancient principle - the principle as ancient
as the the Magna Carta - that if the law isn't free for all to read,
it's not the law.

The Supreme Court's ruling - while fabulous news -  is kind of a mess,
as Mike Masnick writes in Techdirt:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200427/11531544387/supreme-court-says-georgias-official-code-is-public-domain-including-annotations.shtml

The decision turns on whether someone working on behalf of a government
can be an "author," which, again, is kind of a weird way to get there.
And as Masnick writes, the judges throw in some good, spicy stuff.

For example, "The animating principle behind this rule is that no one
can own the law. 'Every citizen is presumed to know the law,' and 'it
needs no argument to show . . . that all should have free access” to its
contents.'"

And the judges also say that the fact that their decision might make it
hard to convince giant corporations like Lexis-Nexis to help Georgia
write its laws, that this is Lexis-Nexis's problems, not copyright's.

And finally, as Masnick points out, the judges use the traditional term
for copyright, "monopoly protection," which, as Masnick points out,
"seems to make a lot of copyright maximalists lose their minds."

Anyway, huge congrats to Carl and his little nonprofit, Public Resource:
you made good law, about the law!

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 "Absolutely faithful" Discworld TV adaptations

Some lovely news: there's going to be an "absolutely faithful" TV
adaptation of some of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, which are some
of my all-time favorite reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/apr/28/terry-pratchett-novels-faithful-tv-adaptation-discworld

Most Pratchett adaptations weren't been great (though the audiobooks are
nothing short of incredible, especially with Stephen Briggs or Tony
Robinson narrating), with the obvious exception of Good Omens, which
benefitted from big budgets and Neil Gaiman's direct involvement.

I don't know anything about the production companies, though they have
the blessing of Rhianna Pratchett, and she is a very reliable steward of
her dad's work, so I provisionally trust them, despite one of them
having the frankly terrible name of "Endeavor Content."

The news stories are light on details, including which books will be
adapted. It will really make a difference! Pratchett is a writer who got
(really) good in public, so his early books are more about latent
promise than promise fulfilled.

After all, he started out as a teenager. As my old writing teacher Damon
Knight used to say, even if you're a talented writer, you generally have
to wait a few years before you have anything to writer *about*.

https://boingboing.net/2013/12/03/a-conversation-with-terry-prat-2.html

I think that's very visible in Pratchett's bibliography. Indeed, one of
the great pleasures of reading through his work is to see him first
mature as a prose stylist, then as a plotter, and then as someone with
something to *say*.

By the time he finished the series, there's just so much *heart* - as
well as formal excellence - in the books that they warrant multiple
re-reads.

https://boingboing.net/2015/11/17/the-final-pratchett-the-sheph.html

So it makes a huge difference which Discworld books get adapted, as well
as how faithful and talented the adapters are. But I am tentatively
enthusiastic about this!

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 Read the prologue of "The Lost Cause"

The Decameron Project is an open access, crowdfunded storytelling
project for the coronavirus lockdown, inspired by Bocaccio's classic
tale of people in plague quarantine who spend their days telling one
another stories.

https://www.patreon.com/projectdecameron

Writers participate in the project by supplying fiction, poetry, and
fragments for all to read. Patrons of the project fund donations to
Cittadini del Mondo, a charity running a library and clinic for refugees
in Rome, which badly needs extra support during this crisis.

One of the organizers, the most excellent Jo Walton, asked me if I had
anything to contribute, and I told her about "The Lost Cause," a new
novel I'm working on about truth and reconciliation after a successful
Green New Deal saves our civilization from collapse.

She agreed that it would be perfect for the project. Last Friday, I
finished the novel's prologue. Today, it's been published on The
Decameron Project.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-decameron-36398964

I'm plugging away at the book in the meantime, writing 500 words/day, 5
days/week. At this rate, I expect to be done by New Year's. You can
follow my progress here:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical;=default&q;=from%3Adoctorow%20%23dailywords

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 Foreclosure vultures hold illegal auctions on courthouse steps

Superior Default Services is a Bay Area real-estate immiseration factory
that has continued to hold its "privately run, extrajudicial auctions"
of foreclosed houses on the SF City Hall steps in violation of pandemic
control measures.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Foreclosure-sales-continue-in-Bay-Area-during-15225132.php

The houses they're selling belong to people who couldn't pay their
mortgages during the pandemic and couldn't get into superior court to
argue against their foreclosure because the court is all but shut down.

They convene groups of "investors" (AKA pandemic profiteers) and hold
open-air auctions for these houses. City Hall officials have forced them
to move down the street, so now they're holding their auctions on the
sidewalk nearby.

Evictions are prohibited during the pandemic, so these "investors" won't
be able to force the people whose houses they've snapped up our from
under them to move out for some time.

But even so, it takes a special kind of sociopath to violate social
distancing orders so that you can buy up some desperate person's house
during a global pandemic.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 Hands-free door-handles

Door handles are a particular problem during the pandemic - even if
you're wearing gloves, they could become contaminated when you go
through a public door.

Dezeen's Tom Ravenscroft rounds up 5 improvised inventions for
hands-free door opening.

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/04/27/handle-hacks-hands-free-door-opening/

These share a lot of DNA with accessibility adaptations for people with
motor disabilities, like Adapta's doorknob-to-lever adapter and
Materialise's 3D printed forearm adapter.

Others have different affordances. I'm also fond of these 3D printed
hooks from Stanford's Matteo Zallio.

Accessibility adaptations are wonderful things, and highlight how much
"disability" is a spectrum, not a condition.

I am not legally blind by any stretch but my low-contrast vision is
incredibly poor

I wouldn't be able to read half the web if it wasn't for low-sight tools
intended for blind people. Designs like these remind us that making the
world accessible benefits everyone, even the (temporarily) able-bodied.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 NYC will pedestrianize 40 miles of city streets

New York City is closing 40 miles of roads near public parks to give
people more room to exercise during the lockdown without violating
social distancing guidelines. They're shooting for 100 miles in all.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nyc-coronavirus-public-roads-traffic-recreational-space/

Other cities are experimenting with similar measures: Mexico City opened
a bunch of new bike paths for people avoiding close quarters on buses;
Milan has also pedestrianized large numbers of its central roadways to
give pedestrians room to spread out.

We are (rightfully) worried that when the pandemic passes, some of the
extraordinary measures put in place (eg contact-tracing) will persist.
But many of the pandemic adaptations - more pedestrian space, a ban on
evictions - are long overdue and should become permanent.

Citizen DJ (permalink)

The Library of Congress has announced Citizen DJ, a huge online
repository of  100 years' worth of public domain and open access music
clips intended to be remixed in new hiphop music.

http://citizendj.labs.loc.gov.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/?l11_uid=66143

You can search the repository by sound/metadata, mix new tracks over
hiphop beats, and pull curated "sample packs" to use for more ambitious
projects.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/04/ibrary-of-congress-open-source-hip-hop-dj-citizen/

It's the project of the LoC's innovator-in-residence Brian Foo, who says
that he wants to bring back the golden age of hiphop sampling, before
clearances and permissions began to determine who could make which music.

"Today, collage-based hip hop as it existed in the golden age is largely
a lost (or at best, a prohibitively expensive) artform. If there was a
simple way to discover, access, and use public domain material for music
making, a new generation of hip hop artists and producers can maximize
their creativity, invent new sounds, and connect listeners to materials
otherwise be hidden from public ears."

"Essential" workers will strike across America for May Day (permalink)

On Friday, a coalition of low-waged "essential" workers across America
are staging a walkout. They work for Amazon, Instacart, Whole Foods,
Walmart, Target, and FedEx.

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/28/coronavirus-may-1-strike-sickout-amazon-target-whole-foods/

It's an unprecedented labor action that comes at an unprecedented
moment: a time in which the work of the historically disposable and
easily replaced workers has become both essential and irreplaceable.

The companies that employ these workers have been slow to get the memo.
Even as they've added billions to their balance sheets (Bezos is $24B
richer since the start of the pandemic), they've offered no/small-dollar
hazard pay and no/inadequate PPE to their workers.

And things are getting worse, not better: Amazon just announced that "it
was ending its policy of unlimited, unpaid time off on April 30." That
means that workers with underlying conditions who cannot expose
themselves to risk in Amazon warehouses will lose their jobs.

Workers report that their managers are sympathetic to their demands for
more protection, but that the corporate HQ will not bend. Whole Foods
has experienced at least 249 cases in at least 131 stores.

The workers are reinventing May Day, a traditional workers' holiday, for
the pandemic era. Despite decades of prohibitions on labor unions and
organizing, they are bargaining from a position of strength, at a moment
of utmost urgency.

Synonyms vs machine learning (permalink)

Adversarial Examples are a favorite infosec topic: these are the small,
human-imperceptible alterations to things in the real world that fatally
confuse machine learning classifiers - like small changes to images that
cause classifiers to think faces are turtles.

Here's a really good one: Textfooler substitutes synonyms into candidate
texts that do not alter meanings for human readers but totally confound
natural language parsing sentiment-analyzers

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/02/07/349027/software-that-swaps-out-words-can-now-fool-the-ai-behind-alexa-and-siri/

Here's the MIT researchers' paper on their work:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.11932

When Textfooler change  "The characters, cast in impossibly contrived
situations, are totally estranged from reality" to "The characters, cast
in impossibly engineered circumstances, are fully estranged from
reality" it upends otherwise reliable classifers' judgements.

"For example, Google's powerful BERT neural net was worse by a factor of
five to seven at identifying whether reviews on Yelp were positive or
negative."

This day in history (permalink)

#15yrsago Dirty tricks at WIPO
https://web.archive.org/web/20050429182910/https://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-8-40-2452.jsp

#10yrsago Mississippi school purges top student from yearbook for being
lesbian
https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2010/apr/26/school-cuts-gay-student-photo-from-yearbook/

#10yrsago Music industry spokesman loves child porn
https://christianengstrom.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/ifpis-child-porn-strategy/

#10yrsago Canadian record industry won't say what it wants
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2010/04/cria-on-copyright-specifics/

#5yrsago UK Tories forged letter of support in the Telegraph from "5,000
small businesses"
https://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/small-business-letter-to-the-telegraph-an-attempt-to-defraud-the-electorate/

#5yrsago FBI's crypto backdoor plans require them to win the war on
general purpose computing
http://webpolicy.org/2015/04/28/you-cant-backdoor-a-platform/

#5yrsago Lifting the lid on Scientology's fatally woo version of rehab
https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2015/apr/27/narconon-incident-reports/

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 Colophon

Today's top sources:

Currently writing: My next novel, "The Lost Cause," a post-GND novel
about truth and reconciliation. Yesterday's progress: 501 words (8662
total).

Currently reading: I'm finally finishing Anna Weiner's memoir about
tech, "Uncanny Valley" and I wrapped up reading Jo Walton's forthcoming
novel "Or What You Will" this weekend.

Latest podcast: Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town (part 01)
https://craphound.com/podcast/2020/04/27/someone-comes-to-town-someone-leaves-town-part-01/

Upcoming appearances:

* Apr 29: Reset Everything https://reseteverything.events/

Upcoming books: "Poesy the Monster Slayer" (Jul 2020), a picture book
about monsters, bedtime, gender, and kicking ass. Pre-order here:
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781626723627

"Attack Surface": The third Little Brother book, Oct 20, 2020.
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250757531

"Little Brother/Homeland": A reissue omnibus edition with a new
introduction by Edward Snowden: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250774583

This work licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
That means you can use it any way you like, including commerically,
provided that you attribute it to me, Cory Doctorow, and include a link
to pluralistic.net.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Quotations and images are not included in this license; they are
included either under a limitation or exception to copyright, or on the
basis of a separate license. Please exercise caution.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🧠 How to get Pluralistic:

Blog (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

Pluralistic.net

Newsletter (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

https://pluralistic.net/plura-list

Mastadon (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

https://mamot.fr/web/accounts/303320

Twitter (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and
advertising):

https://twitter.com/doctorow

Tumblr (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and advertising):

https://mostlysignssomeportents.tumblr.com/tagged/pluralistic

*When life gives you SARS, you make sarsaparilla* -Joey "Accordion Guy"
DeVilla