[Plura-list] The third Little Brother book, Where I write, stream global news, AT&T's CEO gets millions for his failures, Chelsea Manning freed, Katie Porter vs CDC

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Fri Mar 13 12:09:50 EDT 2020

Today's links

* Announcing the third Little Brother book, Attack Surface: And a new
Little Brother/Homeland reissue, with an intro by Ed Snowden!

* Where I Write: A column for the CBC that's really about *how* I write.

* Stream 200+ global news channels: Each hand-picked, no registration
required.

* AT&T's CEO fired 23,000 workers and gave himself a 10% raise: Life on
the easiest setting.

* Chelsea Manning is free: But she's been fined $256K for refusing to
testify to the Grand Jury.

* Rep Katie Porter forces CDC boss to commit to free testing: Literally
the most effective questioner in Congress.

* Trump's unfitness in a plague: It's not because he's an ignoramus,
it's because he's a nihilist.

* Malware that hides behind a realtime Covid-19 map: Peter Watts'
prophecy comes true.

* Locked-down Siennese sing their city's hymn: A cause for hope in the dark.

* This day in history: 2015, 2019

* Colophon: Recent publications, current writing projects, upcoming
appearances, current reading

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🙈 Announcing the third Little Brother book, Attack Surface

Attack Surface is the third Little Brother book, coming out next October.

It's told from the point of view of Masha, the young woman who is Marcus
Yallow's frenemy who works first for the DHS and then for a private
spook outfit. It's a book about how good people talk themselves into
doing bad things, and how they redeem themselves. It ranges from Iraq to
the color revolutions of the former USSR, to Oakland and the Movement
for Black Lives.

The story turns on cutting-edge surveillance and counter-surveillance:
self-driving cars, over-the-air baseband radio malware, IMSI catchers,
CV dazzle and adversarial examples, binary transparency and warrant
canaries.

This week, I did a wide-ranging and deep interview with Andrew Liptak
for Polygon about the book, the Little Brother series, the techlash, the
tech workers' uprising (and #TechWontBuildIt), and the future of
technological self-determination.

We also revealed the cover for Attack Surface, which was designed by the
incomparable Will Staehle (who is eligible for a Best Artist Hugo –
nominations close today!).

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250757531

Not only that, but Staehle has also designed a cover for a new omnibus
edition of Little Brother and Homeland that comes out this July, and as
you can see from that cover, the book has an all-new introduction by
none other than Ed Snowden!

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250774583

(In 2017, Staehle also designed all-new covers for my adult backlist)

https://www.tor.com/2017/10/18/cory-doctorow-will-staehle-covers/

The Little Brother books are neither optimistic nor pessimistic about
technology: instead, they are hopeful. Hope is the belief that you can
materially improve your life if you take action. A belief in human
agency and the power of self-determination.

The message of Little Brother is neither "Things will all be fine" nor
"We are all doomed."

It's: "This will be so great…if we don't screw it up."

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🙈 Where I Write

I learned to be a writer while my life was in total chaos. Decades
later, I have a beautiful office to work in, but I still do my best
writing typing hurriedly on subway trains, in taxi-cabs, and airport
lounges.

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/finding-comfort-in-the-chaos-how-cory-doctorow-learned-to-write-from-literally-anywhere-1.5489363

My CBC column on where I write is really a primer on *how* I write: what
it takes to be able to write when you're sad, or anxious, or wracked
with self-doubt.

Unquestionably the most important skill I've acquired as a writer.

"Even though there were days when the writing felt unbearably awful, and
some when it felt like I was mainlining some kind of powdered genius and
sweating it out through my fingertips, there was no relation between the
way I felt about the words I was writing and their objective quality,
assessed in the cold light of day at a safe distance from the day I
wrote them. The biggest predictor of how I felt about my writing was how
I felt about me. If I was stressed, underslept, insecure, sad, hungry or
hungover, my writing felt terrible. If I was brimming over with joy, the
writing felt brilliant."

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🙈 Stream 200+ global news channels

TV News is an Android app that pulls like Youtube streams from 200+
global news channels in 50 languages, each manually selected by the
app's creator, Steven Clift, whose work I've previously admired.

http://tvnewsapp.com/

You can filter the feeds by country and language and watch them as
floating windows that let you continue to use your device while you
watch. No registration required, either.

They're shooting for 1000+ channels soon.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🙈 AT&T's CEO fired 23,000 workers and gave himself a 10% raise

Randall Stephenson is CEO of AT&T. Ajit Pai killed Net Neutrality so
that Stephenson could legally slow down the services we requested to
extort bribes from us. Then, Trump gave his company a $20B tax cut.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nepxeg/atandt-preps-for-new-layoffs-despite-billions-in-tax-breaks-and-regulatory-favors

Stephenson used that money to raise exec pay, buy back his company's
stock to juice its price and to pay off debts from earlier, disastrous
mergers. He cut 23,000 jobs and slashed capital spending (America has
the worst broadband of any rich country).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/05/att-promised-7000-new-jobs-to-get-tax-break-it-cut-23000-jobs-instead/

After all that, Stephenson congratulated himself on a job well done by
giving himself a 10% raise in 2019, bringing his total compensation up
to *32 million dollars*.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/att-ceo-pay-rose-to-32-million-in-2019-while-he-cut-20000-jobs/

I mean the guy earned it. He blew billions of dollars buying Warner and
Directv, and then lost billions more on the failed aftermath. If that
doesn't warrant a raise, what does?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/att-loses-another-1-3-million-tv-customers-as-directv-freefall-continues/

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🙈 Chelsea Manning is free

A judge has ordered that Chelsea Manning be released from jail, a day
after her latest suicide attempt. She was jailed last March for refusing
to testify before a grand jury, held in solitary for two months, then
jailed again a few days later, in May, She's been inside ever since.

The judge ordered her release because the Grand Jury had finished its work.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.vaed.412520/gov.uscourts.vaed.412520.41.0.pdf

It's fantastic to that Manning got her freedom back, but she has been
fined $256,000 for her noncompliance. I just donated to her fund:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-chelsea-pay-her-court-fines

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🙈 Rep Katie Porter forces CDC boss to commit to free testing

I am a huge fan of Rep Katie Porter. Her outstanding questioning
techniques and unwillingness to countenance bullshit from the people she
questions are such a delight to watch.

Here she is demolishing billionaire finance criminal Jamie Dimon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WLuuCM6Ej0

Oh, Ben Carson, you never stood a chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWy3q2kmNM

Steve Mnuchin always looks like a colossal asshole, but rarely this
comprehensively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78zpa0hQ1aw

I almost feel sorry for this Trumpkin from the Consumer Finance
Protection Board as she faces Porter's withering fire.

Almost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBaCc5VUHS8

Porter – an Elizabeth Warren protege – doesn't do this to grandstand.
Like AOC, she uses her spectacular skills to elicit admissions and get
them on the record, and to hold Congressional witnesses to account.

Today, Porter attained a new peak in a short, illustrious career. That's
because today was the day she questioned CDC assistant secretary for
preparedness and response Robert Kadlec, asking him to clarify Trump's
televised lie last night that insurers would pay for Covid-19 testing.

https://twitter.com/RepKatiePorter/status/1238147835859779584

Porter doggedly held Kadlec to account, forcing him to acknowledge that
the cost of a Covid-19 test – $1,331 – was so high that many would
forego it, and then to admit that these Americans could go on to
transmit the disease to others, making it a matter of public concern.

Then she forced CDC Director Robert Redfield to admit – as she had
informed him in writing the week before – that the CDC had the authority
to simply pay those fees, universally, for any American seeking testing,
under 42 CFR 71.30:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2019-title42-vol1/xml/CFR-2019-title42-vol1-part71.xml#seqnum71.30

Having laid this factual record, Porter insisted that Redfield commit to
using that authority. Not to consider it, study it, or consult on it. To
use it to help save the country. Whenever Redfield waffled, she
reclaimed her time and forced him back on point.

KP: Dr. Redfield, will you commit to the CDC, right now, using that
existing authority to pay for diagnostic testing, free to every
American, regardless of insurance?

RR: Well, I can say that we're going to do everything to make sure
everybody can get the care they need –"

KP: Nope, not good enough. Yes or no?

RR: What I'm going to say is, I'm going to review it in detail with CDC
and the department —

KP: No, reclaiming my time [repeats the question]

RR: What I was trying to say is that CDC is working with HHS now to see
how we operationalize that

KP: Dr. Redfield, I hope that that answer weighs heavily on you, because
it is going to weigh very heavily on me and on every American family

RR: Our intent is to make sure that every American family gets the care
and treatment they need at this time in this major epidemic and I am
currently working with HHS to see how to best operationalize it.

KP: Excellent! Everybody in America hear that — you are eligible to go
get tested for coronavirus and have that covered, regardless of insurance

[Curtain]

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🙈 Trump's unfitness in a plague

In this editorial, *Science* editor-in-chief H Holden Thorp makes a
compelling case that Trump is not capable of leading the American
response to Covid-19.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6483/1169

Trump has spent years denigrating and ignoring science before taking
office, and it's only gotten worse, since.

As Thorp writes, "You can't insult science when you don't like it and
then suddenly insist on something that science can't give on demand."

His policy track-record is even worse: "deep cuts to science, including
cuts to funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and
the NIH…nearly 4 years of harming and ignoring science."

This reminds me of an argument I often have with digital rights
activists who attribute bad technology policy to the inability of
clueless lawmakers to understand the technical nuance. I think that's
wrong. The fact that we're not all dead of cholera, even though there
are no microbiologists in Congress proves that you don't need to be a
domain expert to make good policy.

Good policy comes from truth-seeking exercises in which experts with
different views present their best evidence to neutral adjudicators who
make determinations in public, showing their work in explicit, written,
public reasoning. These processes are made legitimate – and hence robust
and reliable – by procedural rules. The adjudicators – regulators,
staffers, etc – are not allowed to have conflicts of interest. Their
conclusions are subject to the rule of law, with mandatory transparency
and a process for appeal.

It has to be this way: there's no way that – say – a president could be
an expert on all the different issues that might arise during their tenure.

This, then, is the problem with inequality and market concentration: it
merges the referees with the players. When an industry only has a
handful of players, they all end up with common lobbying positions – a
common position on what is truth. That's because the C-suites of these
five companies are filled with people who've worked at two, three or
four of the competitors, and are married to others who've worked at the
remainder. They're godparents to one anothers' kids, executors of each
others' wills.

There's no way for there NOT to be collusion in these circumstances.

And when an industry is that concentrated, the only people who
understand it well enough are those same execs, so inevitably the
regulators are drawn from the industry.

That's why Obama's "good" FCC Chair, Tom Wheeler, was a former Comcast
lobbyist, and why Ajit Pai, Trump's "bad" FCC chair, is a former Verizon
lawyer. Apart from Susan Crawford, there's not really anyone who's not
from the top ranks of Big Telco qualified to regulate them.

So many of us saw the photo of Trump meeting with all the tech leaders
and were dismayed that they were throwing their lot in with him.

But we should also be aghast that all the leaders of the industry fit
around one modest board-room table.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/14/donald-trump-meets-with-tech-leaders/

The problem with Trump's Covid-19 response is that he does not believe
in a legitimate process with neutral referees. The refereeship, in
trumpland, is an open-field auction, a transactional process that works
best when it enriches Trump and his party.

The problem of Trump taking charge of the epidemiological crisis of
Covid-19 isn't that he doesn't understand science: it's that he doesn't
believe in evidence-based policy.

He is part of the cult of "Public Choice Theory," the belief that there
is no one who can serve as referee without eventually colluding with the
players for their mutual enrichment, a cynical, nihilistic philosophy
that holds that there's no point in seeking to govern well. These people
project their own moral vacuum onto all of humanity, a kind of cartoon
Homo Economicus who is incapable of anything except maximizing personal
utility.

For these people, the existence of bridges that don't fall down and
water that doesn't give you cholera are lucky accidents, not results of
sound policy and careful truth-seeking. They reason that since they
would take bribes to poison the water of Flint, so would everyone.

Trump isn't just a non-expert, he's an ignoranamus, but that's not the
problem. The problem is that he is a nihilist, someone who doesn't
believe that truth-seeking is even possible.

🙈 Malware that hides behind a realtime Covid-19 map

Hackers have developed a malware-as-a-service that packages up realtime
Covid-19 maps with malware droppers that infect people who load them.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/03/live-coronavirus-map-used-to-spread-malware/

This reminds me intensely of Peter Watts's 2002 novel Maelstrom, in
which Watts uses his background as an evolutionary biologist to posit an
eerily plausible and devilishly clever way that a digital and a human
virus could co-evolve.

https://rifters.com/real/MAELSTROM.htm