[Plura-list] The grand conclusion of Someone Comes to Town
doctorow at craphound.com
Mon Feb 8 09:43:02 EST 2021
Tomorrow night, I'm helping Ed Snowden launch the young readers' version
of his spectacular memoir "Permanent Record." Join us for a livestream
event with Copperfield Books on Feb 9 at 19h Pacific.
* The grand conclusion of Someone Comes to Town: Part 31, the final
installment of my serialized novel podcast.
* This day in history: 2006, 2011, 2016
* Colophon: Recent publications, upcoming/recent appearances, current
writing projects, current reading
👨🏾✈️ The grand conclusion of Someone Comes to Town
Last April, I began a serialzed weekly reading of my 2006 novel "Someone
Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town, which Gene Wolfe called "a glorious
book unlike any book you’ve ever read."
Today - 31 installments later! - I finished reading the book.
You can catch up on the other installments here:
and subscribe to my podcast feed here:
Here's a direct link to the MP3 (hosting courtesy of the Internet
Archive; they'll host your stuff for free, forever, too!):
There's also an official - far superior! - audiobook edition from
Blackstone audio, read by Bronson Pinchot. It's DRM-free, too:
👨🏾✈️ This day in history
#15yrsago Mosaic of favicons from around the Web
#15yrsago Difference Engine mechanical computer made from legos
#15yrsago Kelly Link’s “Magic for Beginners” – knockout short story
#15yrsago Adbusters and the Economist have the same covers
#15yrsago Web 1.0 logo-mosaic
#10yrsago Hamster-powered strandbeest walker
#10yrsago UK Tories get majority of funding from bankers
#5yrsago How America’s presidents started cashing out
#5yrsago Usborne releases free PDFs of its classic 1980s computer
#5yrsago Celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Declaration of
Independence of Cyberspace
#5yrsago Indian regulator stands up for net neutrality, bans Facebook’s
Today's top sources:
* My next novel, "The Lost Cause," a post-GND novel about truth and
reconciliation. Friday's progress: 500 words (107753 total).
* A short story, "Jeffty is Five," for The Last Dangerous Visions.
Friday's progress: 301 words (3747 total).
Currently reading: Analogia by George Dyson.
Latest podcast: Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town (part 30)
* Talking Attack Surface with the Stanford Institute for Human-Centered
Artificial Intelligence, Feb 9,
* Launch for the young adult edition of Edward Snowden's memoir
PERMANENT RECORD, Feb 9,
* Boskone, 58, Feb 12-15, https://boskone.org/
* Keynote, NISO Plus, Feb 22,
* Mellon Sawyer Seminar on Contemporary Political Struggle: Social
Movements, Social Surveillance, Social Media (with Zeynep Tufekci), Feb
* World Ethical Data Forum keynote, Mar 17-19,
* Interop: Self-Determination vs Dystopia (FITC), Apr 19-21,
* Chop Shop Economics
* Monocle Reads
* Hedging Bets on the Future (Motherboard Cyber):
* "Attack Surface": The third Little Brother novel, a standalone
technothriller for adults. The *Washington Post* called it "a political
cyberthriller, vigorous, bold and savvy about the limits of revolution
and resistance." Order signed, personalized copies from Dark Delicacies
* "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism": an anti-monopoly pamphlet
analyzing the true harms of surveillance capitalism and proposing a
* "Little Brother/Homeland": A reissue omnibus edition with a new
introduction by Edward Snowden:
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250774583; personalized/signed copies
* "Poesy the Monster Slayer" a picture book about monsters, bedtime,
gender, and kicking ass. Order here:
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781626723627. Get a personalized, signed
This work licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
That means you can use it any way you like, including commercially,
provided that you attribute it to me, Cory Doctorow, and include a link
Quotations and images are not included in this license; they are
included either under a limitation or exception to copyright, or on the
basis of a separate license. Please exercise caution.
👨🏾✈️ How to get Pluralistic:
Blog (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):
Newsletter (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):
Mastodon (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):
Twitter (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and
Tumblr (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and advertising):
"*When life gives you SARS, you make sarsaparilla*" -Joey "Accordion
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 195 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the Plura-list