[Plura-list] Busting myths about the Night of the Short Fingers; Impeachment and realignment

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Sun Jan 10 14:22:09 EST 2021

Today's links

* Busting myths about the Night of the Short Fingers: Jillian C York's
"ongoing list."

* Impeachment and realignment: What the Dems should do to shatter the GOP.

* This day in history: 2006, 2011, 2020

* Colophon: Recent publications, upcoming/recent appearances, current
writing projects, current reading

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

👨🏾‍🎤 Busting myths about the Night of the Short Fingers

The Night of the Short Fingers saw many of the US's largest tech
companies blocking Trump and trumpist platforms like Parler, provoking a
storm of punditry about What It All Means for the tech companies to have
taken this content moderation step.

The best expert I know on the subject is Jillian C York, my EFF
colleague. She's published "an ongoing list" of "everything pundits are
getting wrong about this current moment in content moderation."

You should read it.

https://jilliancyork.com/2021/01/10/everything-pundits-are-getting-wrong-about-this-moment-in-platform-regulation-an-ongoing-list/

Here's some highlights:

“Deplatforming Trump sets a precedent."

York: "The only 'precedent' set here is that this is indeed the first
time a sitting US president has been deplatformed by a tech company."

But political leaders around the world have already received this
treatment: Lebanon, Burma, etc. Even the reach of the deplatforming is
nothing new: last summer's US Iran ban saw blocks of everything, up to
and including Etsy listings for "Persian dolls."

"This is the biggest online purge in history!"

York: Yes, Twitter's kicked off a bunch of (supposed) Qanon accounts
recently, but that's peanuts compared to 2019's purge of 1m+ "ISIS"
accounts, "with zero transparency and the 'freeze peach' galaxy brains
didn’t blink."

"Kicking Parler off AWS is unprecedented/a bridge too far"

It's true that there's something fundamentally different going on when
infrastructure companies do content-based takedowns than when the social
media companies that use them do so.

But this has happened plenty before, most notably when AWS kicked out
Wikileaks in 2010, without Wikileaks having been charged with any crimes.

Companies that have even tenuous ties to Iran have also been kicked off
of infrastructure providers' platforms.

"This is communism"

York: No, this is capitalism (American style)

Me: That is, capitalism where, instead of breaking up monopolies, we
deputize them to serve as de facto, unaccountable arms of the state.

"Google Play/App Store's removal of Parler is a new precedent"

York: Nope - this has happened before. Remember when Tumblr had to
institute a (terrible) nudity filter in order to get reinstated at
Apple's app store?

"Twitter won't let you hashtag #1984"

York: Twitter won't let you make a hastag out of any number (because the
hashmark is also the number sign, and otherwise the '#1" in 'We're #1'
would be a hashtag)

York's list is a work in progress and she's asked for contributions from
fellow content moderation/platform regulation experts via DM to
@jilliancyork.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

👨🏾‍🎤 Impeachment and realignment

If you've ever argued with a racist Facebook uncle over Thanksgiving
dinner, you probably had the fact that the Democrats supported slavery
and the Republicans ended it thrown in your face. It's totally true.

What's also true is that the parties underwent a series of
"realignments" where their politics were profoundly transformed.

These realignments are a regular feature of two (and even three) party
systems.

The thing is, there are more than two ways to think about politics.

Each of the parties is best thought of as coalitions - often fragile
ones. The Democrats were a mix of southern racists ("Dixiecrats") and
northeastern trade unionists. The Civil Rights Act turned Dixiecrats
into Republicans ("We have lost the south for a generation" -LBJ).

Both parties seem to be in the midst of another realignment. The
Trump/Nevertrump split in the GOP is a very visible and salient
manifestation of that phenomenon this week.

Writing on Jacobin, political scientist Corey Robin describes a
political strategy for Democrats who want this realignment to be as
painful for the GOP as possible, to send the party into powerless disarray.

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/01/corey-robin-what-impeachment-could-mean-trump

Seizing the moment could "turn the state apparatus to far different ends":

* Genuinely empower Black people (not just in terms of symbolic
representation but in terms of housing, education, jobs, and criminal
justice)

* Empower a broader working class, which includes high percentages of
African Americans and people of color

* Transform all the anti-democratic vestiges of our sclerotic, ancient
constitutional order (Senate filibusters, lack of statehood for DC/PR,
SCOTUS, etc)

The stakes are high! To fulfil that destiny, Dems have to use
impeachment and make it stand for this broad realignment. Doing so
wouldn't just break the Republican party for forcing GOP official to
take a side on impeachment.

It would also further the Dems' own realignment, making it the
transformative party-of-the-many that we need to recover from the
pandemic and survive the climate emergency.

Robin doesn't have high hopes for this, though: "But what I do know is
that the Democratic Party as it is currently constituted is not prepared
to use an impeachment to launch the kind of realignment I’m talking about. "

But he's no oracle, and neither is anyone else: "I don’t quite see the
political forces necessary to turn these political battles of
impeachment into a larger question of the social standing of citizens.

"But sometimes those necessary forces are summoned, to our surprise,
through the very fact of struggle or limited political battle."

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

👨🏾‍🎤 This day in history

#15yrsago Levi’s to ship iPod jeans
http://www.popgadget.net/2006/01/levis_ipod_jean.php

#10yrsago Major record labels forced to pay CAD$45M to ripped-off
musicians https://www.michaelgeist.ca/2011/01/cria-settles-class-action/

#1yrago Boris the Babybot: a picture book about resisting surveillance
https://memex.craphound.com/2020/01/10/boris-the-babybot-a-picture-book-about-resisting-surveillance/

#1yrago The Monsters Know What They’re Doing: an RPG sourcebook for DMs
who want to imbue monsters with deep, smart tactics
https://memex.craphound.com/2020/01/10/the-monsters-know-what-theyre-doing-an-rpg-sourcebook-for-dms-who-want-to-imbue-monsters-with-deep-smart-tactics/

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

👨🏾‍🎤 Colophon

Today's top sources: Naked Capitalism (https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/).

Currently writing: My next novel, "The Lost Cause," a post-GND novel
about truth and reconciliation. Friday's progress: 539 words (97342 total).

Currently reading: Analogia by George Dyson.

Latest podcast: Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town (part 26)
https://craphound.com/news/2020/12/14/someone-comes-to-town-someone-leaves-town-part-26/

-tickets-132831910821">https://www.eventbrite.com/e/william-gibson-cory-doctorow-agency-tickets-132831910821

* Keynote, NISO Plus, Feb 22-25,
https://niso.plus/cory-doctorow-to-keynote-at-niso-plus-2021/

Upcoming appearances:

* What if the future of our public lives online looked like _____?
(panel at New_ Public), Jan 13,
https://newpublic.org/festival/event/783/all-star-world-cafe-what-if-the-future-of-our-public-lives-online-looked-like

* Keynote for linux.conf.au, Jan 22 (US) 23 (Australia)
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/

* Evening with William Gibson, Jan 25,
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/william-gibson-cory-doctorow-agency-tickets-132831910821

* Keynote, NISO Plus, Feb 22-25,
https://niso.plus/cory-doctorow-to-keynote-at-niso-plus-2021/

Recent appearances:

* Hedging Bets on the Future (Motherboard Cyber):
https://play.acast.com/s/cyber/hedgingbetsonthefuturewithauthorcorydoctorow

* Applying the Pandemic Mindset to Climate Change:
https://hbr.org/podcast/2020/12/applying-the-pandemic-mindset-to-climate-change-with-cory-doctorow

* 2020 Beaverbrook Lectures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y66r57bGG5w

* Bibliotherapy/Shelf Healing:
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1509671/6580831

Latest book:

* "Attack Surface": The third Little Brother novel, a standalone
technothriller for adults. The *Washington Post* called it "a political
cyberthriller, vigorous, bold and savvy about the limits of revolution
and resistance." Order signed, personalized copies from Dark Delicacies
https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1840/Available_Now%3A_Attack_Surface.html

* "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism": an anti-monopoly pamphlet
analyzing the true harms of surveillance capitalism and proposing a
solution.
https://onezero.medium.com/how-to-destroy-surveillance-capitalism-8135e6744d59

* "Little Brother/Homeland": A reissue omnibus edition with a new
introduction by Edward Snowden:
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250774583; personalized/signed copies
here:
https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1750/July%3A__Little_Brother_%26_Homeland.html

* "Poesy the Monster Slayer" a picture book about monsters, bedtime,
gender, and kicking ass. Order here:
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781626723627. Get a personalized, signed
copy here:
https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1562/_Poesy_the_Monster_Slayer.html.

This work licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
That means you can use it any way you like, including commercially,
provided that you attribute it to me, Cory Doctorow, and include a link
to pluralistic.net.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Quotations and images are not included in this license; they are
included either under a limitation or exception to copyright, or on the
basis of a separate license. Please exercise caution.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

👨🏾‍🎤 How to get Pluralistic:

Blog (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

Pluralistic.net

Newsletter (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

https://pluralistic.net/plura-list

Mastodon (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

https://mamot.fr/web/accounts/303320

Twitter (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and
advertising):

https://twitter.com/doctorow

Tumblr (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and advertising):

https://mostlysignssomeportents.tumblr.com/tagged/pluralistic

*When life gives you SARS, you make sarsaparilla* -Joey "Accordion Guy"
DeVilla