[Plura-list] The Collective Intelligence Institute

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Tue Feb 7 17:01:36 EST 2023

Read today's issue online at: https://pluralistic.net/2023/02/07/full-stack-luddites/

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

This week (Feb 8-17), I'll be in Australia, touring my book *Chokepoint Capitalism* with my co-author, Rebecca Giblin. We'll be in Brisbane today (Feb 8 - in Australia!), and then we're doing a remote event for NZ on Feb 13. Next are Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra. I hope to see you!

https://chokepointcapitalism.com/

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

Today's links

* The Collective Intelligence Institute: Asking more than 'what technology does' and demanding to know who it does it FOR and who it does it TO.

* Hey look at this: Delights to delectate.

* This day in history: 2003, 2018

* Colophon: Recent publications, upcoming/recent appearances, current writing projects, current reading

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🍨 The Collective Intelligence Institute

History is written by the winners, which is why Luddite is a slur meaning "technophobe" and not a badge of honor meaning, "Person who goes beyond asking what technology does, to asking who it does it *for* and who it does it *to*."

https://locusmag.com/2022/01/cory-doctorow-science-fiction-is-a-luddite-literature/

If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this post to read or share, here's a link to it on pluralistic.net, my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

https://pluralistic.net/2023/02/07/full-stack-luddites/#subsidiarity

Luddites weren't anti-machine activists, they were pro-worker advocates, who believed that the spoils of automation shouldn't automatically be allocated to the bosses who skimmed the profits from their labor and spent them on machines that put them out of a job. There is no empirical right answer about who should benefit from automation, only social contestation, which includes all the things that desperate people whose access to food, shelter and comfort are threatened might do, such as smashing looms and torching factories.

The question of who should benefit from automation is always urgent, and it's also always up for grabs. Automation can deepen and reinforce unfair arrangements, or it can upend them. No one came off a mountain with two stone tablets reading "Thy machines shall condemn labor to the scrapheap of the history while capital amasses more wealth and power." We get to choose.

Capital's greatest weapon in this battle is inevitabilism, sometimes called "capitalist realism," summed up with Frederic Jameson's famous quote "It’s easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism" (often misattributed to Žižek). A simpler formulation can be found in the doctrine of Margaret Thatcher: "There Is No Alternative," or even Dante's "Abandon hope all ye who enter here."

Hope - alternatives - lies in reviving our structural imagination, thinking through other ways of managing our collective  future. Last May, *Wired* published a brilliant article that did just that, by Divya Siddarth, Danielle Allen and E. Glen Weyl:

https://www.wired.com/story/web3-blockchain-decentralization-governance/

That article, "The Web3 Decentralization Debate Is Focused on the Wrong Question," set forth a taxonomy of decentralization, exploring ways that power could be distributed, checked, and shared. It went beyond blockchains and hyperspeculative, Ponzi-prone "mechanism design," prompting me to subtitle my analysis "Not all who decentralize are bros":

https://pluralistic.net/2022/05/12/crypto-means-cryptography/#p2p-rides-again

That article was just one installment in a long, ongoing project by the authors. Now, Siddarth has teamed up with Saffron Huang to launch the Collective Intelligence project, "an incubator for new governance models for transformative technology."

https://cip.org/whitepaper

The Collective Intelligence Project's research focus is "collective intelligence capabilities: decision-making technologies, processes, and institutions that expand a group’s capacity to construct and cooperate towards shared goals." That is, asking more than how automation works, but who it should work *for*.

Collective Intelligence institutions include "markets...nation-state democracy...global governance institutions and transnational corporations, standards-setting organizations and judicial courts, the decision structures of universities, startups, and nonprofits." All of these institutions let two or more people collaborate, which is to say, it lets us do *superhuman* things - things that transcend the limitations of the lone individual.

Our institutions are failing us. Confidence in democracy is in decline, and democratic states have failed to coordinate to solve urgent crises, like the climate emergency. Markets are also failing us, "flatten[ing] complex values in favor of over-optimizing for cost, profit, or share price."

Neither traditional voting systems nor speculative markets are up to the task of steering our emerging, transformative technologies - neither machine learning, nor bioengineering, nor labor automation. Hence the mission of CIP: "Humans created our current CI systems to help achieve collective goals. We can remake them."

The plan to do this is in two phases:

I. Value elicitation: "ways to develop scalable processes for surfacing and combining group beliefs, goals, values, and preferences." Think of tools like Pol.is, which Taiwan uses to identify ideas that have the broadest consensus, not just the most active engagement.

II. Remake technology institutions: "technology development beyond the existing options of non-profit, VC-funded startup, or academic project." Practically, that's developing tools and models for "decentralized governance and metagovernance, internet standards-setting," and consortia.

The founders pose this as a solution to "The Transformative Technology Trilemma" - that is, the supposed need to trade off between participation, progress and safety.

This trilemma usually yields one of three unsatisfactory outcomes:

I. Capitalist Acceleration: "Sacrificing safety for progress while maintaining basic participation." Think of private-sector geoengineering, CRISPR experimentation, or deployment of machine learning tools. AKA "bro shit."

II. Authoritarian Technocracy: "Sacrificing participation for progress while maintaining basic safety." Think of the vulnerable world hypothesis weirdos who advocate for universal, total surveillance to prevent "runaway AI," or, of course, the Chinese technocratic system.

III. Shared Stagnation: "Sacrificing progress for participation while maintaining basic safety." A drive for local control above transnational coordination, unwarranted skepticism of useful technologies (AKA "What the Luddites are unfairly accused of").

The Institute's goal is to chart a fourth path, which seeks out the best parts of all three outcomes, while leaving behind their flaws. This includes deliberative democracy tools like sortition and assemblies, backed by transparent machine learning tools that help surface broadly held views from within a community, not just the views held by the loudest participants.

This dovetails into creating new tech development institutions to replace the default, venture-backed startup for "societally-consequential, infrastructural projects," including public benefit companies, focused research organizations, perpetual purpose trusts, co-ops, etc.

It's a view I find compelling, personally, enough so that I have joined the organization as a volunteer advisor.

This vision resembles the watershed groups in Ruthanna Emrys's spectacular "Half-Built Garden," which was one of the most inspiring novels I read last year (a far better source of stfnal inspo than the technocratic fantasies of the "Golden Age"):

https://pluralistic.net/2022/07/26/aislands/#dead-ringers

And it revives the long-dormant, utterly necessary spirit of the Luddites, which you can learn a lot more about in Brian Merchant's forthcoming, magesterial "Blood In the Machine: The Origins of the Rebellion Against Big Tech":

https://www.littlebrown.com/titles/brian-merchant/blood-in-the-machine/9780316487740/

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🍨 Hey look at this

*  After 20 years I'm allowed to change the images BRIEFLY. And only once!! https://qwantz.com/index.php?comic=4005 (h/t Slashdot)

* We come to bury ChatGPT, not to praise it https://www.danmcquillan.org/chatgpt.html (h/t JWZ)

* Economic Incentives https://blog.dshr.org/2023/02/economic-incentives.html

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🍨 This day in history

#20yrsago Rucker reviews Gibson https://www.wired.com/2003/02/logomancer/

#5yrsago Elite Baltimore police unit robbed with impunity, sold guns and drugs, loaned guns and armor to civilians sent to commit robberies https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/us/baltimore-police-corruption.html

#5yrsago Trump wants to cap lifetime Medicaid benefits, even for disabled people, the chronically ill, and people with Alzheimer’s https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article198549039.html

#5yrsago Oklahoma schools go on 4-day weeks so teachers can work at Walmart on Mondays to make rent https://www.economist.com/united-states/2018/01/30/whats-the-matter-with-oklahoma

#5yrsago 25 years ago, a mutant American crayfish turned to asexual reproduction, and all of Europe’s lakes are filling up with its clones https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/science/mutant-crayfish-clones-europe.html

#5yrsago California State Senator wants to remake cities with midrises near public transit, but he is facing a wave of nimbyism https://extranewsfeed.com/my-transit-density-bill-sb-827-answering-common-questions-and-debunking-misinformation-226eaa7e1653

#5yrsago Facebook hired a pollster to track Zuck’s public image, but he quit because working for Facebook filled him with shame https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16976328/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-pollster-tavis-mcginn-honest-data

#5yrsago RIP John Perry Barlow, 1947-2018 https://memex.craphound.com/2018/02/07/rip-john-perry-barlow-1947-2018/

#5yrsago The myth of the “genius creator” requires that we ignore the people they build on, or insist they don’t matter https://web.archive.org/web/20180222151637/https://copy-me.org/2018/02/the-creativity-delusion-there-is-no-genius/

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🍨 Colophon

Today's top sources:

Currently writing:

* Picks and Shovels, a Martin Hench noir thriller about the heroic era of the PC. Friday's progress: 514 words (102789 words total)

* The Bezzle, a Martin Hench noir thriller novel about the prison-tech industry. FIRST DRAFT COMPLETE, WAITING FOR EDITORIAL REVIEW

* A Little Brother short story about DIY insulin PLANNING

* Vigilant, Little Brother short story about remote invigilation. ON SUBMISSION

* Moral Hazard, a short story for MIT Tech Review's 12 Tomorrows. FIRST DRAFT COMPLETE, ACCEPTED FOR PUBLICATION

* Spill, a Little Brother short story about pipeline protests. ON SUBMISSION

Currently reading: Analogia by George Dyson.

Latest podcast: Social Quitting https://craphound.com/news/2023/01/22/social-quitting/

Upcoming appearances:

* Avid Reader (Brisbane), Feb 8
https://avidreader.com.au/pages/6834-ChokepointCapitalism-RebeccaGiblinandCoryDoctorow

* Chokepoint Capitalism: A Kiwi Perspective, Feb 13
https://chokepoint-capitalism-a-kiwi-perspective.lilregie.com/booking/attendees/new

* Future of Arts, Culture & Technology, ACMI, (Melbourne), Feb 14
https://www.acmi.net.au/whats-on/in-conversation-cory-doctorow-rebecca-giblin-esther-anatolitis/

* State Library of NSW (Sydney), Feb 15
https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/events/chokepoint-capitalism-rebecca-giblin-and-cory-doctorow

* ANU/Canberra Times Meet The Author (Canberra), Feb 16
https://www.anu.edu.au/events/in-conversation-with-rebecca-giblin-and-cory-doctorow

* Australian Digital Alliance Copyright Forum (Canberra), Feb 17
https://digital.org.au/2022/11/08/doctorow-giblin-first-speaker-announcement-ada-forum-2023/

* Antitrust, Regulation and the Political Economy (Brussels), Mar 2
https://www.brusselsconference.com/registration

Recent appearances:

* Chokepoint Capitalism: Can It Be Defeated? (UCL Institute of Brand and Innovation Law):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs0c7qE-Yyk

* A theory of how internet platforms die (Marketplace Tech)
https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace-tech/a-theory-of-how-internet-platforms-die/

* Graeber's Pirate Enlightment (Everyday Anarchism)
https://www.everydayanarchism.com/graebers-pirate-enlightment-cory-doctorow/

Latest books:

* "Chokepoint Capitalism: How to Beat Big Tech, Tame Big Content, and Get Artists Paid, with Rebecca Giblin", on how to unrig the markets for creative labor, Beacon Press/Scribe 2022 https://chokepointcapitalism.com

* "Attack Surface": The third Little Brother novel, a standalone technothriller for adults. The *Washington Post* called it "a political cyberthriller, vigorous, bold and savvy about the limits of revolution and resistance." Order signed, personalized copies from Dark Delicacies https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1840/Available_Now%3A_Attack_Surface.html

* "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism": an anti-monopoly pamphlet analyzing the true harms of surveillance capitalism and proposing a solution. https://onezero.medium.com/how-to-destroy-surveillance-capitalism-8135e6744d59 (print edition: https://bookshop.org/books/how-to-destroy-surveillance-capitalism/9781736205907) (signed copies: https://www.darkdel.com/store/p2024/Available_Now%3A__How_to_Destroy_Surveillance_Capitalism.html)

* "Little Brother/Homeland": A reissue omnibus edition with a new introduction by Edward Snowden: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250774583; personalized/signed copies here: https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1750/July%3A__Little_Brother_%26_Homeland.html

* "Poesy the Monster Slayer" a picture book about monsters, bedtime, gender, and kicking ass. Order here: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781626723627. Get a personalized, signed copy here: https://www.darkdel.com/store/p2682/Corey_Doctorow%3A_Poesy_the_Monster_Slayer_HB.html#/.

Upcoming books:

* Red Team Blues: "A grabby, compulsive thriller that will leave you knowing more about how the world works than you did before." Tor Books, April 2023

* The Internet Con: A nonfiction book about interoperability and Big Tech, Verso, September 2023

* The Lost Cause: a post-Green New Deal eco-topian novel about truth and reconciliation with white nationalist militias, Tor Books, November 2023

This work licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. That means you can use it any way you like, including commercially, provided that you attribute it to me, Cory Doctorow, and include a link to pluralistic.net.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Quotations and images are not included in this license; they are included either under a limitation or exception to copyright, or on the basis of a separate license. Please exercise caution.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🍨 How to get Pluralistic:

Blog (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

Pluralistic.net

Newsletter (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

https://pluralistic.net/plura-list

Mastodon (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

https://mamot.fr/@pluralistic

Medium (no ads, paywalled):

https://doctorow.medium.com/

(Latest Medium column: "Small Government: The ref has to be more powerful than the players" https://doctorow.medium.com/small-government-fd5870a9462e)

Twitter (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and advertising):

https://twitter.com/doctorow

Tumblr (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and advertising):

https://mostlysignssomeportents.tumblr.com/tagged/pluralistic

"*When life gives you SARS, you make sarsaparilla*" -Joey "Accordion Guy" DeVilla