[Doctorow-L] Column: Disruption for Thee, But Not for Me

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Mon Jan 7 17:53:18 EST 2019

My latest Locus Magazine column is "Disruption for Thee, But Not for
Me," and it analyzes how Big Tech has been able to "disrupt" incumbent
industries, but has repurposed obscure technology regulations to prevent
anyone from meting out the same treatment to their new digital monopolies.

I cite the example of Uber and Lyft, which have gutted the (often
corrupt and rentier-riddled) taxi industry, but which can't be similarly
cannibalized my driver co-ops without risking legal retaliation through
the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

http://locusmag.com/2019/01/cory-doctorow-disruption-for-thee-but-not-for-me/