[Doctorow-L] COLUMN Jeannette Ng Was Right: John W. Campbell Was a Fascist

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Tue Nov 5 02:12:43 EST 2019

My latest Locus Magazine column is "Jeannette Ng Was Right: John W.
Campbell Was a Fascist," which revisits Jeannette Ng’s Campbell Awards
speech from this summer’s World Science Fiction convention.

As far as I know, I’m the only person to have won both awards named for
Campbell, which, I think, gives me license to speak on the subject. I
think that Ng was absolutely right about Campbell and his legacy, and I
think that understanding that the good that people do doesn’t erase the
harms they cause (and vice-versa) is critical to navigating a world of
flawed people.

https://locusmag.com/2019/11/cory-doctorow-jeannette-ng-was-right-john-w-campbell-was-a-fascist/