[Doctorow-L] Coming to Brussels on Nov 11 for a symposium on a new, green, postcapitalist economy

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Fri Oct 18 12:30:24 EDT 2019

On November 11, the Edgeryders nonprofit assocation is bringing me to
Brussels for a day-long event called The Science Fiction Economics Lab,
where I’ll be jointly keynoting with Edgeryders economist Alberto
Cottica, a lifelong science fiction fan, about radical futuristic
economic ideas for a more cooperative, sustainable future.

It’s a stage-setting exercise that then leads into an Extinction
Rebellion workshop called “Reclaiming Utopia,” and the next day,
November 12, will be a full-day workshop designing “fictional
economies…t do not exist in fully realized form, but are nevertheless
internally coherent and could, in principle, come to pass, and are
radically different from the economy we do have.” It all wraps with a
giant party on Nov 15 (“Because if we can’t dance, we don’t want your
alt-economy”).

The event is running a crowdfunder to help defray costs, with copies of
my novel Walkaway and other premiums for backers.

https://craphound.com/news/2019/10/18/crowdfunding-a-symposium-on-a-green-postcapitalist-economics-in-brussels-nov-11/