[Doctorow-L] Column: Where (and how) I write

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Thu Mar 12 14:41:19 EDT 2020

I learned to be a writer while my life was in total chaos. Decades
later, I have a beautiful office to work in, but I still do my best
writing typing hurriedly on subway trains, in taxi-cabs, and airport
lounges.

My CBC column on where I write is really a primer on *how* I write: what
it takes to be able to write when you're sad, or anxious, or wracked
with self-doubt.

Unquestionably the most important skill I've acquired as a writer.

"Even though there were days when the writing felt unbearably awful, and
 some when it felt like I was mainlining some kind of powdered genius
and sweating it out through my fingertips, there was no relation between
the way I felt about the words I was writing and their objective
quality, assessed in the cold light of day at a safe distance from the
day I wrote them. The biggest predictor of how I felt about my writing
was how I felt about me. If I was stressed, underslept, insecure, sad,
hungry or hungover, my writing felt terrible. If I was brimming over
with joy, the writing felt brilliant."

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/finding-comfort-in-the-chaos-how-cory-doctorow-learned-to-write-from-literally-anywhere-1.5489363