[Doctorow-L] Get a peronalized, signed Poesy the Monster Slayer

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Fri May 29 18:20:38 EDT 2020

My first-ever picture book is Poesy the Monster Slayer, which First
Second books is publishing on Jul 14. The book is about a little girl
who refuses to go to bed because she's having more fun turning her toys
into monster-hunting weapons.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1228033537867014145

It's an epic tale of bedtime resistance, toy-hacking, monsters, and
parental perseverance (Poesy's parents are slowly turned into zombies
because they can't get any sleep - setting up the final monster battle!).

The whole thing is beautifully illustrated by Matt Rockefeller.

And of course, it was inspired by my own daughter, Poesy, who, at 12,
says she's now too old for picture books (although sometimes I sneak one
in at bedtime!).

On July 11, Poesy and I will pick up a box of pre-orders of Poesy the
Monster Slayer from our local indie bookstore, Dark Delicacies, which
has survived both an eviction and coronavirus.

https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1562/_Poesy_the_Monster_Slayer.html

We'll sign and personalize your pre-orders and Dark Delicacies will get
them in the mail on so that they arrive by July 14 (assuming the USPS is
still functional!).

I've said many times that this is the monster book I wish I'd had as a
kid and I wish I'd been able to read to my kid when she was a littlie.
For a while there, it was looking like we wouldn't be able to sign
pre-orders for other kids, but Dark Delicacies came through for us.

That's the kind of folks Del and Sue at Dark Delicacies are! That's why,
when they lost their lease, everyone from Guillermo Del Toro to Neil
Gaiman rallied around them and raised more than $30k to help them relocated.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dark-delicacies-relocation-fundraiser

I count myself so lucky to have such a great bookseller within walking
distance of my front door - and I'm so pleased to be doing these
pre-orders with both my daughter (this is a daddy-daughter first for
us!) and them.