[Doctorow-L] Event tomorrow: HOW TO DESTROY SURVEILLANCE CAPITALISM

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Sun Nov 29 14:20:29 EST 2020

Hey folks! I've been taking the long weekend off - my first days off
since the crisis in March! - but I wanted to call your attention to an
event I'm doing tomorrow.

The Beaverbrook Lecture is an annual event at McGill University's Centre
for Media, Technology and Democracy. Normally it's a single lecture, but
this year, they've split it into two.

Last week, Shoshanna Zuboff presented Part I, in which she laid out her
thesis from her book IN THE AGE OF SURVEILLANCE CAPITALISM:

https://www.mcgill.ca/maxbellschool/channels/event/2020-beaverbrook-annual-lecture-part-i-shoshana-zuboff-325537

Tomorrow at 9AM Pacific (12PM Eastern, 5PM UK, 6PM CET) I'm delivering a
counterpoint, laying out my thesis from the short book I published last
summer in response to Zuboff's work, HOW TO DESTROY SURVEILLANCE CAPITALISM:

https://www.mcgill.ca/maxbellschool/channels/event/2020-beaverbrook-annual-lecture-part-ii-cory-doctorow-325538

The event is free to attend. While I wrote and delivered several
speeches prior to HTDSC as I was developing it, this is (weirdly) the
first new speech I've given on the theme since its publication,
incorporating all the feedback I've gotten since August. It's a major
new talk that I've been working on for weeks, and I'm pretty excited
about it.

I'm reasonably sure that they will make the video available after the
fact, so if you can't make it, don't sweat it too much.

Here's a podcast I did with the Centre's Taylor Owen, setting up the talk:

https://www.cigionline.org/big-tech/cory-doctorow-true-dangers-surveillance-capitalism

and here's HOW TO DESTROY SURVEILLANCE CAPITALISM, which is free to read
on Onezero:

https://onezero.medium.com/how-to-destroy-surveillance-capitalism-8135e6744d59

Cory