[Plura-list] Oh Joy Sex Toy's new teen sex-ed book; Torcon: Gaiman, Okorafor, Kowal, Schwab; Copyright bots are slaughtering classical musicians' performances

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Fri May 22 11:02:27 EDT 2020

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

Reminder: I'm appearing on the Controlled Digital Lending: Getting Books
to Students During the Pandemic & Beyond webinar today at 9AM
Pacific/12PM Eastern.

https://www.publicknowledge.org/event/controlled-digital-lending/

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

Today's links

* Oh Joy Sex Toy's new teen sex-ed book: Our Bodies and Health.

* Torcon: Gaiman, Okorafor, Kowal, Schwab: ...and me!

* Copyright bots are slaughtering classical musicians' performances:
Filternet, working as intended.

* Coronavirus has made the super-rich MUCH richer: The crisis is here,
it's just not evenly distributed.

* How to start a platform co-op: A MOOC from NYU and Mondragon.

* Mum uses GDPR to force Gran to take down pics: That's one way to
settle the dispute.

* Physical BLINK tag: Lenticular dominance.

* This day in history: 2005, 2010, 2015, 2019

* Colophon: Recent publications, upcoming appearances, current writing
projects, current reading

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 Oh Joy Sex Toy's new teen sex-ed book

Oh Joy Sex Toy is Erika Moen and Matthew Nolan's superb webcomic that
started as a sex-toy review site but has branched out to cover every
element of human sexuality and sexual health with comedy, pathos, and
wisdom.

https://www.ohjoysextoy.com

After kickstarting a string of outstanding collections, they branched
into sex-ed books for young readers. The first volume was "Drawn to
Sex," a book so good I DIDN'T give it to my daughter (which would have
guaranteed that she wouldn't read it).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikamoen/drawn-to-sex-the-basics

(Instead, I left it where I knew she'd find it on her own!)

Now - great news! - there's a second volume in the works, called "Our
Bodies and Health," which deals with "the science-y, biology-y side of
things" and is up for preorder:

https://www.ohjoysextoy.com/pre-order-drawn-to-sex-our-bodies-and-health/

Subjects covered: "genital construction to pregnancy to abortion to STIs
to the various ways your reproductive organs can go haywire and what you
can do to deal with it." These are comics "designed to help the reader
learn about difficult topics without shame or judgement."

Here's that Kickstarter. The book is $8 for a PDF, $20 for a hardcopy,
and $36 for a bundle with volume 1 - delivery is Nov, in time for Xmas!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikamoen/drawn-to-sex-our-bodies-and-health

I ordered one!

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 Torcon: Gaiman, Okorafor, Kowal, Schwab

I have literally lost count of the number of sf cons I was supposed to
attend that have cancelled, but there's one NEW con that I've signed up
for that I'm SO STOKED about: Torcon, the sf con from Tor Books, which
runs online Jun 11-14.

https://www.torforgeblog.com/torcon-2020/

What.

A.

Lineup.

Neil Gaiman. VE Schwab. Brandon Sanderson. Nnedi Okorafor. Christopher
Paolini.

Me!

I'm speaking with Nnedi Okorafor on 6/14 at 19h Eastern/16h Pacific!

There are online screenings, brunch with Mary Robinette Kowal, a live
storytelling session with an all-star lineup, panels... It's all in
collaboration with @denofgeek, featuring some of their best-loved hosts...

The pandemic sucks. Missing cons sucks. This will NOT suck.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 Copyright bots are slaughtering classical musicians' performances

During the pandemic, classical musicians and orchestras are reliant on
streaming their performances to maintain their profile and solicit
donations. That's a problem, because the platforms' copyright bots
*hate* classical music.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/copyright-bots-and-classical-musicians-are-fighting-online-the-bots-are-winning/2020/05/20/a11e349c-98ae-11ea-89fd-28fb313d1886_story.html

Once a record label like Sony Music or Naxos claims a performance that
they have released, the bots scour the services for anything that sounds
even remotely like that performance and either deletes it, mutes it, or
steals the money it generates.

And on the platforms, users are considered guilty until proven innocent.
An automated takedown is virtually instantaneous, while a human review
that reverses it can take *twenty-eight months*.

https://pluralistic.net/2020/05/17/cheap-truthers/#robot-sez-no

The fascinating thing about this is that it is entirely predictable.
It's a known failure mode for filters. Either you narrow the matching so
that they only catch precise matches (in which case they are easy to
trick by making trivial changes); or you broaden the matching, in which
case they take down innocent musicians' own performances.

The fact that they've chosen the latter tells you that this is not
"copyright protection," because the musicians whose performances are
removed are *also* copyright holders.

Indeed, the majority of classical music copyright holders are not large
companies like Naxos or Sony - they're the musicians whose performances
Sony and Naxos have removed.

These filters are not for copyright protection: they're for *corporate*
protection.

What do Naxos and Sony say? Duncan Hammons from Naxos blames the
filters: "We’re at the mercy of automation in order to uphold our
obligations to our clients."

Translation: Naxos chose not to manually review the filters' results,
rather, they run the system on full autopilot, and anyone who gets
censored in the process is an unavoidable consequence of Naxos's decision.

He doesn't raise the possibility of making a different decision.

Instead, he proposes that Naxos can be in charge of who is allowed to
make classical music even if they don't have a relationship with Naxos:
"[arrangements can be made for channel owners to prove] the legitimacy
of their status as a performing arts entity."

In March 2019, the EU passed its new Copyright Directive, whose Article
13 (now Article 17) mandates copyright filters like Facebook's for all
platforms.

At the time, critics like me argued that this would allow giant
entertainment corporations to decide when and whether an indie musician
could perform online.

After all, these companies don't fear being trapped in the filternet:
they have direct lines to the online appeals court. It's only the indie
musicians who have to get in the queue to have the robot's judgment
reviewed by a human, who might take 28 months to get to it.

And of course, now that every online platform has to find the money to
build these filters - Youtube's Contentid, which only does a tiny
fraction of the filtering required, cost $100m - only the biggest tech
players will remain.

So here we are, headed for a future in which only giant tech platforms
are allowed to operate, and where giant media companies are given a veto
over who can make art on those platforms.

This is not a good situation for artists. Even if you want to sign to
Sony or another label, the fact that Sony (and the other two giant
labels) are the only game in town means that they will squeeze their
talent, giving them less of the money their art generates.

Once, online platforms constituted an escape valve on this
pressure-cooker, an alternative to the abusive label system. Now it is
captured by them.

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and
from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was
which.”

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 Coronavirus has made the super-rich MUCH richer

In "Tale of Two Crises: Billionaires Gain as Workers Feel Pandemic
Pain," a new report from Americans for Tax Fairness and the Insitute for
Policy Studies, we learn that America's billionaires have added $434B to
their fortunes during the crisis.

https://ips-dc.org/us-billionaire-wealth-surges-434-billion-as-unemployment-filers-top-38-million/

America's 5 richest billionaires - Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Mark
Zuckerberg, Warren Buffett and Larry Ellison - grew their fortunes by $40B.

Bezos alone made $35B. He is canceling the  $2/hour "hazard pay" for
Amazon warehouse workers effective Jun 1.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/21/underscoring-grotesque-nature-unequal-sacrifice-richest-americans-have-added-434

36 million Americans have filed for unemployment in the same period.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/business/economy/coronavirus-unemployment-claims.html

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 How to start a platform co-op

The problem with the gig economy isn't that it makes it easy for
workers, customers and businesses to find each other: it's that the
platforms are parasitic grifts who ruin everyone, lose money, and get
flogged off to suckers during the IPO.

https://pluralistic.net/2020/05/18/code-is-speech/#schadenpizza

There's a better way: "platform co-operativism," in which workers clone
the apps - a trivial task - and then turn them into nonpredatory,
worker-owned businesses that support the real economy instead of
annihilating it to enrich Saudi oil families.

https://pluralistic.net/2020/05/18/code-is-speech/#platform-cooperatvism

The biggest co-op success story is Spain's Mondragon Co-Op. They've
teamed up with NYU's New School (which has a major platform co-op
project) and the Institute for the Cooperative Digital Economy to offer
courses in platform co-op entrepreneurship.

https://platform.coop/blog/a-pcc-mondragon-course-helps-to-incubate-platform-co-ops/

It runs Jun 1-Jul 24.

"In moments of crisis like this, things that had been considered
impossible can become common sense: The Great Depression gave rise to
the original New Deal. We need to show possibilities for how the world
could be better."

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 Mum uses GDPR to force Gran to take down pics

A Dutch court has sided with a woman who sued her mother to force her to
remove pictures of her grandchildren from social media, finding that the
images violated the GDPR.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52758787

The mum said that she had repeatedly asked the grandmother to remove the
pictures. The court found that the "purely personal" exception to the
GDPR does not apply when large commercial platforms like Facebook and
Pintrest are involved.

If the grandmother doesn't remove the photos, she'll be fined €50/day to
a max of €1000. If she posts more images in the future, these, too, will
incur €50/day fines.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest. I do think that kids
(and therefore, by extension, their guardians) should have autonomy over
their personal info, and also that the polite thing to do when asked by
your daughter to remove her kids' photos is to comply.

But the GDPR is a gnarly hairball of law that's hard to understand, even
for experts. I'm all for having complex, purpose-suited rules for
complex industries, but I'm sceptical that they will carry over well to
resolving disputes between private individuals.

Certainly, this feels like a scorched-earth approach that would likely
create a permanent rift between Gran and Mum.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 Physical BLINK tag

My favorite terrible outcome of the browser wars is the BLINK tag, which
Netscape introduced as a nonstandard HTML extension in a bid to tempt
web authors to optimize their sites for Netscape instead of Microsoft's
Internet Explorer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_element

The tag lingered long after the browser wars ended. I went through a
period around 2013 where I used it (and its many variations, like the
"marquee" argument a lot). Eventually (and not coincidentally, I
believe), Firefox nuked it.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/23.0/releasenotes/

So I was delighted to wake up this morning and discover that @edent is
making good use of quarantine time to commission a lenticular BLINK tag
sticker from a Chinese manufacturer.

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2020/05/building-a-physical-blink-tag/

You can order your own! It's £100 for 100, with a 10% discount at this link:

http://i.refs.cc/jSbp0NlI?smile_ref=eyJzbWlsZV9zb3VyY2UiOiJzbWlsZV91aSIsInNtaWxlX21lZGl1bSI6IiIsInNtaWxlX2NhbXBhaWduIjoicmVmZXJyYWxfcHJvZ3JhbSIsInNtaWxlX2N1c3RvbWVyX2lkIjpudWxsfQ%3D%3D

(which also pays a commission to Eden).

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 This day in history

#15yrago Official French translation for "weblog"
https://web.archive.org/web/20051123210140/http://www.loiclemeur.com/english/2005/05/want_to_say_web.html

#10yrsago Infoladies of Bangladesh revolutionize rural life
https://www.theguardian.com/journalismcompetition/professional-two-wheel-triumph

#5yrsago The Man Who Sold The Moon
https://boingboing.net/2015/05/22/the-man-who-sold-the-moon.html

#1yrago A self-appointed wing of the American judicial system is about
to make it much harder to fight terms of service
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3x79a/new-proposal-would-let-companies-further-screw-you-over-with-terms-of-service

#1yrago Exploitation of workers becomes more socially acceptable if the
workers are perceived as "passionate" about their jobs
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30998042/

#1yrago The "Uber of Live Music" will charge you $1100-1600 to book a
house show, pay musicians $100
https://www.jwz.org/blog/2019/05/the-uber-of-live-music/

#1yrago In less than one second, a malicious web-page can uniquely
fingerprint an Iphone, Pixel 2 or Pixel 3 without any explicit user
interaction https://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2019/papers/405.pdf

#1yrago Americans believe that they should own the mountains of data
produced by their cars, but they don't
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/opinion/car-repair-data-privacy.html

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 Colophon

Today's top sources: Timothy Haas, Naked Capitalism
(https://nakedcapitalism.com/), JWZ (https://www.jwz.org/blog/),
Slashdot (https://slashdot.org/), Trebor Schulz.

Currently writing: My next novel, "The Lost Cause," a post-GND novel
about truth and reconciliation. Yesterday's progress: 500 words (18420
total).

Currently reading: The Case for a Job Guarantee, Pavlina Tcherneva

Latest podcast: Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town (part 03)
https://craphound.com/podcast/2020/05/18/someone-comes-to-town-someone-leaves-town-part-03/

.Upcoming appearances:

* Controlled Digital Lending: Getting Books to Students During the
Pandemic & Beyond, Friday May 22
https://www.publicknowledge.org/event/controlled-digital-lending/

* Discussion with Nnedi Okorafor, Torcon, June 14
https://www.torforgeblog.com/torcon-2020/

Upcoming books: "Poesy the Monster Slayer" (Jul 2020), a picture book
about monsters, bedtime, gender, and kicking ass. Pre-order here:
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781626723627

"Attack Surface": The third Little Brother book, Oct 20, 2020.
https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250757531

"Little Brother/Homeland": A reissue omnibus edition with a new
introduction by Edward Snowden: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250774583

This work licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.
That means you can use it any way you like, including commerically,
provided that you attribute it to me, Cory Doctorow, and include a link
to pluralistic.net.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Quotations and images are not included in this license; they are
included either under a limitation or exception to copyright, or on the
basis of a separate license. Please exercise caution.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_

🌹 How to get Pluralistic:

Blog (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

Pluralistic.net

Newsletter (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

https://pluralistic.net/plura-list

Mastodon (no ads, tracking, or data-collection):

https://mamot.fr/web/accounts/303320

Twitter (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and
advertising):

https://twitter.com/doctorow

Tumblr (mass-scale, unrestricted, third-party surveillance and advertising):

https://mostlysignssomeportents.tumblr.com/tagged/pluralistic

*When life gives you SARS, you make sarsaparilla* -Joey "Accordion Guy"
DeVilla