[Doctorow-L] Column: They told us DRM would give us more for less, but they lied

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Tue Sep 3 20:32:02 EDT 2019

My latest Locus Magazine column is "DRM Broke Its Promise," which
recalls the days when digital rights management was pitched to us as a
way to enable exciting new markets where we'd all save big by only
buying the rights we needed (like the low-cost right to read a book for
an hour-long plane ride), but instead (unsurprisingly) everything got
more expensive and less capable.

For 40 years, University of Chicago-style market orthodoxy has promised
widespread prosperity as a natural consequence of turning everything
into unfettered, unregulated, monopolistic businesses. For 40 years,
everyone except the paymasters who bankrolled the University of
Chicago's priesthood have gotten poorer.

Today, DRM stands as a perfect example of everything terrible about
monopolies, surveillance, and shareholder capitalism.

https://locusmag.com/2019/09/cory-doctorow-drm-broke-its-promise/