[Doctorow-L] Rave for "Poesy the Monster Slayer"

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Thu Jun 4 11:13:58 EDT 2020

No matter how many books I write (20+ now!), the first review for a new
one is always scary. That goes double when the book is a first as well -
like *Poesy the Monster Slayer*, my first-ever picture book, which comes
out from First Second on Jul 14.

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781626723627

So it was with delight and relief that I read Publishers Weekly's (rave)
review of *Poesy*:

"Some children fear monsters at bedtime, but Poesy welcomes them. Her
pink 'monster lair' features gothic art and stuffed animals, and she
makes her father read The Book of Monsters from cover to cover before
lights out. 'PLEASE stay in bed tonight,' he pleads as he leaves, but
there's no chance: the werewolf who soon enters her window is the size
of a grizzly. 'Werewolves HATED silver,' Poesy knows, 'and they feared
the light' 0 armed with a Princess Frillypants silver tiara and a
light-up wand, she vanquishes the beast. And that's just the beginning
of her tear through monsterdom. 'Poesy Emmeline Russell Schnegg,' her
mother growls from the doorway (in a funny turn, the girl gains a middle
name every time a parent appears). Assured panels by Rockefeller (Pop!)
combine frilly with threatening, illuminated by eerie light sources.
Doctorow, making his picture book debut, strikes a gently edgy tone ('He
was so tired,' Poesy sees, 'that he stepped on a Harry the Hare block
and said some swears. Poor Daddy!'), and his blow-by-blow account races
to its closing spread: of two tired parents who resemble yet another
monster. Ages 4-6."

Whew!

I had planned to do a launch party at Dark Delicacies, my neighborhood
horror bookstore, on Jul 11, but that's off (obviously).

So we're doing the next-best thing: preorder from the store and you'll
get a signature and dedication from me AND my daughter, Poesy (the
book's namesake).

https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1562/_July%3A_Poesy_the_Monster_Slayer.html