[Doctorow-L] A new Little Brother short story collection

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Tue Sep 15 13:28:23 EDT 2020

When I launched a Kickstarter campaign to crowdfund pre-orders for the
audiobook of Attack Surface (the third Little Brother book), I threw in
a couple of *really* big-ticket rewards, more or less on a lark.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doctorow/attack-surface-audiobook-for-the-third-little-brother-book/

For $10K, you could commission a Little Brother story: I'd write a story
based on an mutually agreed-upon prompt and try to sell it, and make
sure your name was mentioned in any eventual sale.

I set up two of these thinking they'd never sell.

They sold in three days.

As I blocked out time in my diary to write two more Little Brother
stories - hardly an unpleasant chore! - I realized between these stories
and the two uncollected Little Brother stories (Lawful Interception and
the forthcoming Force Multiplier), I nearly had *another* book.

So I emailed my agent and said, "Hey, look, if three more people
commission stories and I write 'em and sell 'em to magazines and
whatnot, do you think someone would publish the whole thing as a
collection?"

And he was like: "*duh*."

So here we are! I've just made three more commissions available on the
Kickstarter. If you've got $10K and want to help birth another Little
Brother book - a short story collection, title to be determined, this is
your chance!

And if you don't want to spend $10K (which, you know, *fair enough*),
your $15 pre-order of the Attack Surface audiobook and/or $14 ebook (or
$25 bundle) will make a gigantic difference, not just to me, but to
competition and authorship:

https://pluralistic.net/2020/09/13/theory-of-change/#avalanche

Also, if you're already a backer, I've got some errata for you: last
night I told how to get the free audiobook and ebook of Force
Multiplier, but I screwed up.

Here's the correct info:

If you're in the UK, Aud, NZ, SA India or another English-speaking
country (but NOT US or Canada) here's the form for the bonus story:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBcoOM3m3fCwipXRcexWuBD4nZMIF13r2StmSnpT5amD4Icg/viewform

And if you're in any non-English-speaking country, email your receipt to:

TorAdvertising at tor.com

*Sorry!*