[Doctorow-L] Announcing the Attack Surface tour

Cory Doctorow doctorow at craphound.com
Wed Sep 23 15:57:29 EDT 2020

It's been 12 years since I went on my first book tour and in the years
since, I've met and spoken with tens of thousands of readers in hundreds
of cities on five continents in support of more than a dozen books.

Now I've got another major book coming out: ATTACK SURFACE.

How do you tour a book during a pandemic? I think we're still figuring
that out. I'll tell you one thing, I won't be leaving Los Angeles this
time around. Instead, my US publisher, Tor Books, has set up eight
remote "Attack Surface Lectures."

https://read.macmillan.com/torforge/cory-doctorow-virtual-lecture-series/

Each event has a different theme and different
guest-hosts/co-discussants, chosen both for their expertise and their
ability to discuss their subjects in ways that are fascinating and engaging.

ATTACK SURFACE is the third Little Brother book, a standalone book for
adults.

It stars Masha, a young woman who is finally reckoning with the moral
character of the work she's done, developing surveillance tools to fight
Iraqi insurgents and ex-Soviet democracy activists.

Masha has struggled with her work for years, compartmentalizing her
qualms, rationalizing her way into worse situations.

She goes home to San Francisco and discovers her best friend, a BLM
activist, is being targeted by the surveillance weapons Masha herself
invented.

What follows is a Little Brother-style technothriller, full of rigorous
description and extrapolation on cybersecurity, surveillance and
resistance, that illuminates the tale of a tech worker grappling with
their own life's work.

Obviously, this covers a lot of ground, as is reflected in the eight
nights of talks we're announcing today:

I. Politics & Protest, Oct 13, with Eva Galperin and Ron Deibert, hosted
by The Strand Bookstore

II. Cross-Medium SciFi, Oct 14, with Amber Benson and John Rogers,
hosted by Brookline Booksmith

III. ​​Intersectionality: Race, Surveillance, and Tech and Its History,
Oct 15, with Malkia Cyril and Meredith Whittaker, hosted by Booksmith

IV. SciFi Genre, Oct 16, with Sarah Gailey and Chuck Wendig, hosted by
Fountain Books

V. Cyberpunk and Post-Cyberpunk, Oct 19, with Bruce Sterling and
Christopher Brown, hosted by Andeersons Bookshop

VI. Tech in SciFi, Oct 20, with Ken Liu and Annalee Newitz, hosted by
Interabang

VII. Little Revolutions, Oct 21, with Tochi Onyebuchi and Bethany C
Morrow, hosted by Skylight Books

VIII. OpSec & Personal Cyber-Security: How Can You Be Safe?, Oct 22,
with Runa Sandvik and Window Snyder, hosted by Third Place Books

Some of the events come with either a hardcover and a signed bookplate,
or, with some stores, actual signed books.

(those stores' stock is being shipped to my house, and I'm signing after
each event and mailing out from here)

(yes, really)

I've never done anything like this and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't
nervous about it. Book tours are crazy marathons - I did 35 cities in 3
countries in 45 days for Walkaway a couple years ago - and this is an
entirely different kind of thing.

But I'm also (very) excited. Revisiting Little Brother after seven years
is quite an experience. ATTACK SURFACE - a book about uprisings,
police-state tactics, and the digital tools as oppressors and liberators
- is (unfortunately) very timely.

Having an excuse to talk about this book and its themes with you all -
and with so many distinguished and brilliant guests - is going to keep
me sane next month. I really hope you can make it.